Re: Deprecate most "native" RDF serializations

On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 11:22 -0400, Manu Sporny wrote:

> """
> TURTLE Lite would effectively be a subset of TURTLE - N-Quads, or
> something that would be N-Quads-like (allowing for either "s p o" or
> "s
> p o c" statements).
> """
>
> Gavin has asserted that TURTLE already supports N-Triples... now all
> we
> need to do is to make N-Quads a subset of TURTLE and we're good for
> TURTLE Lite.

Since a subset can't include things not in its superset, I guess you're
saying that Turtle should include the dataset/quad stuff?  Do you have a
proposed syntax for that?   I don't think adding the label after the
triple, as in N-Quads, works well in Turtle...

  s p o1 g, o2 g; p2 o3 g.

Nah.   Maybe just like trig, where you have a triple you could have
label + { graph }.   Or maybe a GRAPH keyword like in SPARQL.  I kind of
like that.

Steve has argued very strongly, and Andy just mentioned again, that
people want to know from the mime type whether they'll be getting
triples or quads.   Steve sees it as a big security issue -- you don't
want to load quads in from the Web and have them over-write your
crawler's internal state metadata or data that was supposedly fetched
from other address. I'm not convinced, myself, not at all, because I
think one needs to have an "untrusted" mode of loading quads that
renames all the graphs.

    -- Sandro