Re: Vocab terms for owner, validFrom and validUntil

On 05/04/2012 08:57 AM, Thomas Baker wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 12:21:33AM -0400, Manu Sporny wrote:
>> The second and third are validity periods for particular pieces of
>> information - like when is an offer for a good or service valid
>> from/to? When was a home address valid from/to? When was a public
>> key valid from/to?
>
> URI:         http://purl.org/dc/terms/valid Label:       Date Valid
> Definition:  Date (often a range) of validity of a resource.

We looked at dc:valid and it was too vague. The range is a Literal,
which doesn't tell us anything about a standard format for the range.
ISO 8601 date ranges would work, but Dublin Core is silent on that.

Another problem with ISO 8601 date ranges is that authors would have a
hard time with it since it is a fairly in-depth microsyntax. We used
validFrom and validUntil because it was easier for developers to
understand what should go in these fields vs. what should go in a
validity range.

Also, the meaning of "valid" isn't clearly defined. Does that mean the
resource ceases to exist after that point? Does it mean the
"information" about the resource ceases to be "valid" after that point?

I would still argue that even if dc:valid was expressive enough that
this belongs in the core of RDF or RDFS.

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: PaySwarm Website for Developers Launched
http://digitalbazaar.com/2012/02/22/new-payswarm-alpha/