Re: Proposal for adding new datatypes from XSD 1.1 (ISSUE-66)

On May 2, 2012, at 11:33 , Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> I think that it would be best if RDF and OWL used the same list of acceptable datatypes.

It is already the case that some datatypes are listed in the RDF Semantics and not in the OWL2 Functional Syntax; e.g., xsd:gYear. xsd:duration, xsd:dayTimeDuration and xsd:yearMonthDuration are also not included in OWL 2 but that should not mean not to include them in RDF. Ie, it should be o.k. for the OWL related datatypes to be a subset of the RDF related datatypes.

On the other hand it should really be checked whether OWL refers indeed a subset. I do not think there are discrepancies in this respect, but it is worth checking...

> (By the way, the OWL WG has been dormant waiting for XSD 1.1 to finalize, so there is a bit of work for that WG to do as well.)

The first reaction of Boris Motik (having talked to him at WWW2012), looking at XSD Rec, was that there is no need for change (except for editorial ones, ie, change the references). We may probably consider OWL 2 as final in this sense.

Ivan

> pete
>

> On 05/01/2012 08:57 AM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> XSD 1.1 has added a number of new datatypes, and revised some of the existing ones. XSD 1.1 is now a W3C Recommendation. ISSUE-66 asks the question whether to add the new types to the list of XSD types allowed in RDF.
>>
>> Alex has previously analysed the changes in XSD 1.1 from an RDF point of view:
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-wg/2012Feb/0039.html
>>
>> I fully concur with his findings and recommendations, and hence propose:
>>

>> PROPOSAL: Resolve ISSUE-66 by adding xsd:duration, xsd:dayTimeDuration, xsd:yearMonthDuration and xsd:dateTimeStamp to the table of allowed XSD types in RDF Concepts ED Section 5.1
>>

>> (RDF Semantics has a redundant list of the same types; this also needs to be changed accordingly, or removed in favour of normatively referencing RDF Concepts.)
>>
>> Best,
>> Richard

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/