Re: three kinds of dataset

On Mar 6, 2012, at 12:43 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
> Subject: Re: three kinds of dataset
> Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 12:30:13 -0600
>
>> A few quick clarifications.
>>
>> On Mar 6, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>
>>> From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
>>> Subject: three kinds of dataset
>>> Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 00:55:58 -0600
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> It appears that the essence here is that there is a new datatype,
>>> RDFGRAPH, whose literals are RDF graphs.
>>
>> Well, that is one way to do it. I like the proposal in Bizer et
>>> al. better, myself.
>>
>>> It may even be that the
>>> graph-subset relationship is exposed in RDF (to allow partial
>>> specification of the graph).  However, there is no notion that the
>>> elements of this datatype carry RDF semantics.
>>
>> No, that is exactly what is proposed. The RDF graphs being named here
>> are real RDF graphs with RDF semantics. But the dataset names them
>> rather than asserts them.
>
> What aspects of the RDF semantics percolate up here?  If none, then the
> domain elements should just be RDF graphs, as graphs.  if some, then
> just exactly what?

Yes, they are RDF graphs, as graphs. But to say this is not to say that they have no semantics. If they get imported into another graph, they have the same semantics they would have if they had never been in the dataset. I just wanted to distinguish this aspect from case 2 (which does change the meaning) and to emphasise that putting a graph in a graph literal does not eliminate its semantics altogether.

> [...]
>>>
>>> Huh?  Case 1 appears to say that this is just an RDF datastructure, with
>>> no semantics, and therefore inconsistency is not an issue.
>>
>> Why would an RDF datastructure have no semantics? The RDF semantics is
>> normative for RDF. Maybe consistency isnt something anyone is
>> worried about, for pragmatic reasons of some kind, but that does not
>> alter the fact of the presence of the inconsistency in the data.
>
> Why should an RDF datastructure have any semantics (beyond its mapping
> into some abstract datatype)?
>
> [...]
>

>>>  I'm not sure what is gained [in Case 3] over case 1,
>>> however.
>>
>> The ability to use the IRI graph labels inside RDF triples to refer to
>>> the graph, effectively using RDF as metadata.
>
> To what effect?  If none, then there is no reason to do it.
>
> [...]
>
>>> If I understand what is going on here, Pat's proposal for case 2 is a
>>> kind of situation calculus whereas Antoine's is a kind of modal logic.
>>
>> Nicely put. Actually I think Antoine's is a very simple hybrid logic
>> which has labels for the possible worlds, rather than a modality. But
>> whatever.
>>
>>> These are both ways of extending RDF.  I would *not* say that Antoine's
>>> is an un-extension of the RDF semantics.
>>
>> My point was just that under Antoine's construction, a dataset has a
>> *weaker* meaning than it would if we applied the straighforward 2004
>> semantics to all its graphs.
>
> And so, also, in the situation calculus version, I believe.
'
Measured in actual entailments, yes you are right.

Pat