Re: Use cases wrt Dataset proposal (UC 1.5, UC 5.2)

On Mar 2, 2012, at 8:09 AM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:

> Le 01/03/2012 20:16, Pat Hayes a écrit :

>>> On the contrary, it should. It is not what I said. I say that the
>>> import mechanism does not care about what kind of entity is denoted
>>> by the IRI used with owl:imports.
>>
>> No, it does care. If http-range-14 is correct, then that URI has to
>> denote an information resource.
>>
>>> In the example above, the owl:imports statement implies (in the OWL
>>> 2 RDF based semantics, which is certainly the one the RDF WG is
>>> most interested in)
>>> that<http://zimmer.aprilfoolsreview.com/antoine#me>  is an
>>> ontology, but after the import is effective via a HTTP lookup, it
>>> will be inferred
>>> that<http://zimmer.aprilfoolsreview.com/antoine#me>  is a
>>> foaf:Person as well. This is consistent, as nothing says that
>>> ontologies cannot be people,
>>
>> Actually it is impossible for an OWL ontology document (which is what
>> gets retrieved) to be a person, and there might even be true
>> ontologies out there which assert this.
>
> Impossible?  From what do you conclude this?

Um...biology? (Do you seriously believe that a document can be a person? Even the US Supreme Court hasnt quite gone that far yet.)

>> This discussion is clearly deeply involved with the whole http-range
>> issue. If we accept the TAG ruling on http-range-14, at least for
>> now, and if the http retrieval in this example returns a 200-level
>> coded response without any redirection, then we do have to assume
>> that the URI denotes an "information resource", ie a Web document,
>> more or less. And hence that it cannot be a person (or maybe better,
>> it would be false and dangerous to move ahead with any infernce that
>> was based on such a claim, as it is false and very liable to be
>> contradicted by an accepted and authoritative ontology somewhere.) So
>> I dont thikn we can be so blasé as you would like us to be about
>> situations like this.
>
> http-range-14 has nothing to do with the semantics of OWL

No, it does precisely at this point. Http-range-14 mandates that a successful 200-coded HTTP GET result means that the URi in question is the name of an information resource. So it can't refer to something else entirely.

> , but let me tell you that what's retrieved by the HTTP lookup in this example is the document at http://zimmer.aprilfoolsreview.com/antoine, which is *not* the URI used in the owl:imports statement.

I presume this is because  the statement has a URI reference in it, and HTTP uses the URI with the post-hash stuff removed. So yes, in this case there are two different URIrefs involved: the one that is used in the retrieval, without a hash, denotes the ontology and the one with #me added denotes you. Which is kind of odd, but does make sense. The oddity comes from using a hash URIref in an owl:imports, of course. Bad practice.

Pat

>> Pat
>>

>>> but it may seem weird to some people. But look at the following
>>> example:
>>>

>>> <>  owl:imports<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#stuff>  .
>>> <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#stuff>
>>> owl:sameAs<http://dbpedia.org/ontology/>  .
>>>
>>> This will import the FOAF ontology (assuming the application is
>>> doing a HTTP lookup). However, this:
>>>
>>> <>  owl:imports<http://dbpedia.org/ontology/>  .
>>> <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#stuff>
>>> owl:sameAs<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#stuff>  .
>>>
>>> will import the dbpedia ontology.

Did you mean to write the second one differently?