Re: Use cases wrt Dataset proposal (UC 1.5, UC 5.2)

On 3/1/2012 10:10 AM, Alex Hall wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us
> <mailto:phayes@ihmc.us>> wrote:
>

>      > It's certainly intended that the locally stored ontology is the
>     same as what the writer of the OWL had in mind. But it's certainly
>     possible to use a completely different document, and I understand
>     how you find this state of affairs objectionable. In practice, the
>     person importing the OWL into our tool is usually the same person
>     who wrote it, so it's often a moot point.
>
>     Ah, I see. OK, I understand better now. So this amounts to a kind of
>     local caching, right? (You seemed to be saying something much
>     crazier, sorry I misunderstood.)
>

> That's exactly what this amounts to. Sorry if I didn't make that clearer
> in my original email.

FWIW, we do basically the same thing. Import an ontology from uri U. It
gets stored in our quad store in named graph U. Subsequent look ups for
U go against the quad store, as long as that named graph exists. You can
use our ontology editor to make changes to the ontology U (whatever
changes -- add/remove properties, change semantics, whatever), at which
point it would still be in named graph U, but would be out-of-sync (and
potentially inconsistent with) with whatever is still being served on
the Web at URI U. (Of course, that can happen without making any changes
locally, if changes are made at U.)

It's a cache, but not a read-only cache. We don't do anything to prevent
users from making whatever changes they want to the local copy of the
ontology.

(Same with any other RDF imported into Anzo from the Web, for that matter.)

Lee