Re: Use cases wrt Dataset proposal (UC 1.5, UC 5.2)

Le 01/03/2012 08:48, Dan Brickley a écrit :

> On Wednesday, 29 February 2012, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> If I say in an ontology document:
>
> <>  owl:imports <http://zimmer.aprilfoolsreview.com/antoine#me>.
>
> then, what I get, according to the OWL specs, is an ontology with
> the content of http://zimmer.aprilfoolsreview.com/antoine included,
> in spite of <http://zimmer.aprilfoolsreview.com/antoine#me> denoting
> a foaf:Person.
>
> Please take a look at the OWL 2 spec section 3.2 to check.
>

> Why should an ontology's RDF description not include information
> about real-world entities?

On the contrary, it should. It is not what I said. I say that the import
mechanism does not care about what kind of entity is denoted by the IRI
used with owl:imports. In the example above, the owl:imports statement
implies (in the OWL 2 RDF based semantics, which is certainly the one
the RDF WG is most interested in) that
<http://zimmer.aprilfoolsreview.com/antoine#me> is an ontology, but
after the import is effective via a HTTP lookup, it will be inferred
that <http://zimmer.aprilfoolsreview.com/antoine#me> is a foaf:Person as
well. This is consistent, as nothing says that ontologies cannot be
people, but it may seem weird to some people. But look at the following
example:

<> owl:imports <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#stuff> .
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#stuff> owl:sameAs
<http://dbpedia.org/ontology/> .

This will import the FOAF ontology (assuming the application is doing a
HTTP lookup). However, this:

<> owl:imports <http://dbpedia.org/ontology/> .
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#stuff> owl:sameAs
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#stuff> .

will import the dbpedia ontology.

In spite of owl:sameAs being formally interpreted as identity, these two
ontologies will eventually have very different inferences. This is
because the mechanics behind owl:imports is not part of the model theory
of OWL.