Re: [TURTLE] Turtle Inverse Properties

On 2012-08-22, at 15:30, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>> Yes, it's definitely a trade-off, but IMHO the balance tends towards adding a mechanism similar to @rev in Turtle.
>>
>> Best,
>> Yves
>>
> +1
>
> Remember, the fact that it becomes part of the standard doesn't mean its an entry point re. usage. The benefit here is that you end up with syntax sugar awaiting the fully engaged end-user. As I said in an earlier post, one an end-user is engaged they make a quantum leap for bashful neophyte to edge-case maniac. It happens all the time with software. Thus, why not have a pleasant surprise (in the form of syntax sugar)  in place for this inevitability?

The problem is reading, not writing. Either:

It will be reasonably common in use (like "a" in Turtle), so people will need to learn what it means
   or
It will be obscure (like parseType Literal in RDF/XML), arguably a failure, hardly ever used in automated serialisations, mostly being a source of bugs and complexity in parsers.

There's also some middle ground where it will be neither obscure, nor common, but that's the worst case.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO
Garlik, a part of Experian