Re: proposals for Lists and Seq (ISSUE-77)

On 21/10/11 12:01, Steve Harris wrote:
> On 2011-10-21, at 11:19, Andy Seaborne wrote:

>>> Seq has the advantage that it's much easier to query with SPARQL. Still not great, but much easier.
>>>
>>> Finding the 3rd member of a list:
>>>
>>> Seq
>>>
>>> SELECT ?m3
>>> WHERE {
>>>    <x>   rdf:_3 ?m3
>>> }
>>
>> If you assume a notion of well-formedness: else:
>>
>> :x rdf:_1 1 ;
>>    rdf:_1 10 ;
>>    rdf:_1 11 ;
>>    rdf:_2 2 ;
>>    rdf:_9 3 .
>
> I don't see how that's an issue - there isn't a 3rd member in that case, which is a bit at odds with the mathematical definition of a Sequence, but a reasonable thing to want to model.

The text does not say anything about the values: it's just a sequence,
in a weaker sense than an array having slots at 0, 1, 2, ...

[[
the rdf:Seq class is used conventionally to indicate to a human reader
that the numerical ordering of the container membership properties of
the container is intended to be significant.
]]

"numerical ordering"

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-schema-20040210/#ch_seq

hence the well-formedness idea.

Others see multiple rdf:_1 as meaningful.