Re: sub-datasets ...

On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 19:06 -0700, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> TopQuadrant code routinely queries datasets that are provided by other
> vendors; hence we have an interest in the dataset abstractions that are
> provided in the standard.
>
> A particular area of interest for TopQuadrant is that we often want to
> have a simple dataset algebra, where given a dataset with some set of
> graph names N = { n1, n2, .... nk }, we may want to run a query against
> a subdatset M of N, consisting of only some of the ni, e.g. M = { n3, n4 }.
> Given such a capability then, at least over the powerset of N, we can
> provide the usual set theoretic operators of union and intersection to
> implement a change of application focus by considering a different
> subdataset.
>
> I am wondering what is the best way to add this issue to the mix here. I
> could write up a use case: would that be helpful?

Yes, I think a use case in
www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/TF-Graphs-UC
would be good.

I wonder if this couldn't be done in a way which helps with the problem
of dumping a SPARQL store where the default graph is the union of the
other graphs.   What we'd like to dump is the FACT that it's the union,
so the triples don't have to get dumped twice.