Re: <sandro> PatHayes, can you formally define g-box for us?

On 13 Oct 2011 05:32, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

> REST defines a resource as a function from times to representations. So, a
g-box is a resource whose representations are (a recognized interchange
syntactic form of) g-snaps, ie RDF graphs.

> Will that do?

Yes. The entities in the representations are g-texts that serialize g-snaps.

> That then has the nice feature that it is 'natural' to say that IRIs
relate to g-boxes via HTTP GET and PUT, according to the standard Web
architectural principles; but it is also natural to say that IRIs relate to
graphs by naming, ie by reference. So we have two parallel worlds:

> IRI----HTTP/"identifies" ---- g-box
> IRI----denotes/names-----g-snap
>
> and we can state as a semantic rule that when the first one works, the
second one has to conform to it. So if your http IRI GETs something that
parses to a graph, then the IRI refers to/denotes that graph. Which all has
a nice http-range-14-ish flavor to it :-)

This is a very interesting formulation of the web architecture. More
generally one might say "when an IRI identifies a resource that IRI then
also denotes the state of the resource"