Re: Web Semantics for Datasets

On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 09:12 -0400, Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider
wrote:
> For all HTTP clients?  Over all time?  For all
> hardware/software/protocol/internet errors?
>
> Without knowing the boundaries of the "every" the proposal is
> incomplete.

The goal here is to get systems to behave in a predictable (and useful)
way so that other systems can build on them.  And the mechanism I'm
trying to use for that is to define conformance to standards.  So, I'm
thinking in terms of idealized behavior.    Certainly, it's out of scope
to be worrying about whether, eg, client software has been subverted.

Can you think of a way to frame this better?   Mine was:

        For the graph naming to hold, every successful dereference of N
        yielding an RDF graph must yield G.

So, I'm not exactly defining all those terms, but I expect they are
pretty clear.     Yes, for all HTTP clients.   Over all time -- that's a
different kind of question, about the temporal range of the assertion.
For all errors -- no, if there's an error it's not a "successful
dereference".

    -- Sandro