Re: why I don't like named graph IRIs in the DATASET proposal

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>wrote:

> Ian,
>
> On 4 Oct 2011, at 22:47, Ian Davis wrote:
> >> Inference is defined over RDF graphs, not over collections of unasserted
> RDF graphs.
> >
> > While I agree with this statement, isn't it the case that most graph
> stores do inference over the collection of graphs in a dataset?
>
> Most graph stores don't do inference at all.

Of the ones that do can you list some that don't operate over the collection
of graphs as a single unit?

> > Given these two graphs in a single graph store and a schema that says
> ex:ancestor is transitive then I'm sure many inference enabled systems will
> answer true if asked whether :c is an ancestor of :a
> >
> > :G1 { :a ex:ancestor :b }
> >
> > :G2 { :b ex:ancestor :c }
> >
> > I'm pretty sure BigOWLIM does this, possibly others too.
>
> Like some other stores, BigOWLIM probably just by default places the union
> of all named graphs into the default graph. If it then does per-graph
> inference, then you get the effect you describe above when querying the
> default graph.

No, the default graph behaviour is configurable in BigOWLIM I believe.
However I think that behaviour isn't really relevant to whether inference is
done on a per graph basis or over a collection of graphs.

--
Ian Davis, Chief Technology Officer, Talis Group Ltd.
http://www.talis.com/ | Registered in England and Wales as 5382297