Re: unicode escapes in prefix names

On 22/11/11 23:41, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> On 22 Nov 2011, at 21:04, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> With a goal of maximising compatibility between Turtle and SPARQL,
>> maximising compatibility from both heritiages is important.
>>
>> SPARQL 1.0 allows \u in prefix names (and in fact uniformly)
>
> Allowing escapes everywhere was a design mistake in SPARQL 1.0 IMHO.
> I was looking forward to seeing this fixed in 1.1.

As you know, the SPARQL-WG is, by charter, strongly encouraged not to
change SPARQL 1.0 behaviour.  Simply ignoring that doesn't really help
the situation.  We have to work to improve where we can.

>> SPARQL is already changing to accommodate Turtle in a major way for
>> implementers
>
> I would argue that SPARQL is changing to avoid a security risk in
> SPARQL Update:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2011Aug/0010.html

That message has a mistake in it.

SPARQL Query and SPARQL Update are separate languages.

The protocol provides different operations for query and update.

You can't mix SELECT and DELETE by design.

If you parse as a query, DELETE, however it is written, will not parse.

>> Turtle can make a smaller change to accommodate SPARQL. (smaller
>> because it does not change the design of a Turtle parser as it does
>> to a SPARQL one)
>
> Turtle would thereby acquire the same security risk.

Your concerns about %-encoding, trailing dots, are well motivated but
solving them is not in scope of this WG or indeed W3C as it's RFC
3986/3987 matters and DBpedia's implementation thereof.