Re: ISSUE-13: a proposal for rdf:XMLLiteral

(Coming to this issue late...)

Seems to me that making XMLLIteral optional is a better way to proceed than keeping it non-optional but making it effectively vacuous. The only rationale for its being compulsory is now lost in time: it had to do with wanting RDF/XML to be "self-describing", as I recall. So making it be just a regular, and hence optional, datatype seems to be a sensible and simplifying thing to do. If it is a subdatatype of xsd:string, there seems to be little point in having it at all.

Pat

On Nov 17, 2011, at 2:51 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2011, at 21:51 , Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider wrote:
>
>> This would still require any tool that does inference to correctly
>> create XML infosets.
>
> That is correct. As Jeremy says, if XML Literal becomes optional, then this may still be o.k.
>
> Let me also add: we should realize that there *are* legitimate usages of XML Literals, even if they are in the long tail, so to say. We always referred to I18N usages, but that is not the only one. For example, if I want a literal that expresses a mathematical formula, then using the content markup of MathML is still one of the best solutions (though not the only one, one can use LaTeX formulae). Similarly, if I want to describe some 2D geometry in a literal, using SVG may be the most obvious approach. In all those cases I may want to compare, say, two math formulae whether they are identical, and referring to the infoset is a viable solution.
>
> I think that Peter's proposal goes a bit too far. Sorry Peter...
>
> Ivan
>

>> My proposal would eliminate that.
>>
>> peter
>>

>> From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
>> Subject: Re: ISSUE-13: a proposal for rdf:XMLLiteral
>> Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 13:43:36 -0600
>>
>>> Well, I try to keep a bit closer to what we have now. Here is my view... (To make things simpler at this point I do as if the xml literals had a root element. As Jerremy said this is not exactly true, but that can be folded in later)
>>>
>>> 1. The lexical space for XML literals are valid XML strings
>>> 2. The value space for XML literals are XML Infosets.[1]
>>> 3. The lexical to value mapping means parsing the XML string and build (some internal representation of) the infoset.