Re: RDF-ISSUE-79 (undefined-datatype): What is the value of a literal whose datatype IRI is not a datatype? [RDF Concepts]

Le 10/11/2011 17:33, Alex Hall a écrit :
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Richard Cyganiak<richard@cyganiak.de>wrote:
>
>> Antoine,
>>
>> On 10 Nov 2011, at 14:41, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
>>> This resource can only be known according to a datatype map and only if
>> the datatype map contains a pair (http://ex.com/whatever,ddd). Otherwise,
>> it is unknown.
>>
>> Can you confirm that this is really an “if and only if”?
>>
>> Is it somehow possible under RDFS-Entailment + D-Entailment to get a value
>> for "foo"^^bar if bar is not in the datatype map?
>>
>>> The text should rather say something like:
>>>
>>> "If<x,ddd>  is not in the datatype map then a typed literal with
>> datatype IRI x is interpreted as an unknown resource."
>>
>> Would it be correct to say the following:
>> “The value of a literal whose datatype IRI is not in the datatype map is
>> unknown.”
>>

> That's almost exactly what RDF Semantics 2004 says: "Typed literals whose
> type is not in the datatype map of the interpretation are treated as
> before, i.e. as denoting some unknown thing." (Section 5.1)

Right, in fact, it would be good not to say "the value" when the literal
denotes some unknown resource.

> I would prefer to have literals of type rdf:LangString denote themselves in
> all interpretations rather than some unknown thing, but I don't know how
> best to make it happen.  Clearly it can't be done through the L2V mechanism.

There is not problem defining a specific interpretation for some
datatypes, just like what is done for rdf:XMLLiteral (or xsd:string in
RDF 1.1).

--
Antoine Zimmermann
ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol