Re: URI aliases for RDF terms?

* Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com> [2011-11-02 14:51+0000]
> On 2011-11-02, at 14:39, Ian Davis wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com> wrote:
> >> OK, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of some URI being used as an alias for some other URI.
> >>

> > Isn't this just owl:equivalentProperty?
>
> Not sure, I don't know if the suggestion was that e.g.
>
> SELECT *
> WHERE {
>   ?x <http://some.example/test> ?y
> }
>
> Would answer the same queries as { ?x a ?y }.
>
> Either way I'm not a fan. Yes, the rdf:type URI is a bit ugly, but so is foaf:name. It's too late to change it IMHO.

+1
Excruciating precision is a cost of doing business in an unambiguous domain. I think any step towards simplifying syntaxes for particular terms (rdf:type) or vocabularies (foaf:*) should be handled in ways which do not impact the RDF graph. If "http://some.example/test" is *parsed* as "www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type", then it may as well be spelled "a".

--
-ericP