Re: Proposal for ISSUE-12, string literals

On May 18, 2011, at 11:12 , Steve Harris wrote:
[snip]

> I don't know what "match" means in a model theoretic sense, only in a RFC 4647 sense.
>
>> :a :b "chat"@en-GB .
>>
>> entail
>>
>> :a :b "chat"@en .
>>
>> in any entailment regime defined by the RDF semantics ??
>
> No idea.

AFAIK, the answer is no, because the semantics does not say anything about language tags (apart from the fact that it exists). But in case we introduce these as datatypes, we should at least make it clear that the value space of one is a subspace of another one. AFAIK, the RDFS semantics does not require to define the corresponding datatypes as being subclasses of the other, but implementation may then do that.

Ivan

>> I don't think so, which does not mean that it is not an interesting
>> thing to consider —although it looks like a tricky can of worms...
>>
>> In any case, I don't think that this entailment would mean that
>> rdflang:en would be a supertype of rdflang:en-GB, as their value space
>> would still be disjoint, in my view.
>
> OK, seems reasonable.
>
> - Steve

>>> OK, that's easy.

>>> Sounds reasonable.
>>>
>>> - Steve
>>>

> --
> Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
> 1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK
> +44 20 8439 8203  http://www.garlik.com/
> Registered in England and Wales 535 7233 VAT # 849 0517 11
> Registered office: Thames House, Portsmouth Road, Esher, Surrey, KT10 9AD

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153