Re: [Turtle] Existing data , existing code.

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 18:10:36 +0000
To: RDF-WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>

On 02/03/11 15:46, David Wood wrote:
> +1 to nice little features, and I'm not scared of (minor!) changes that break BC because there aren't that many Turtle parsers out there.

There has been a lot of talk about maintaining already-deployed data.
But there is also the issue of already-deployed code.  When there was
last a RDF WG, the deployed base was much smaller, and a substantial
part being run by active developers in semweb technology.

Nowadays, I contend, there are more existing deployments and they do not
run on the bleeding edge.

We see question about versions of software several iterations in the
past, and there are good reasons why people do not want to upgrade, or
not upgrade, frequently.  If it works - why change it?

Adding features to Turtle, or anything else, affects the existing
software.  Whether there many Turtle parsers or not, there are a
significant number of instances of them.

	Andy