Re: What can/should/must we do with rdf:PlainLiteral?

On 20 Jun 2011, at 13:40, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> I'm glad to hear that because your original message said (my emphasis):
>
> [[
> Given that the *term* “plain literal” is likely to be removed from the abstract syntax".
> ]]

You are right, I didn't phrase that very well.

>> At any rate, I take your message as a vote that the class containing
>> all xsd:strings and all language-tagged strings should be called
>> rdf:PlainLiteral as it reflects established terminology.
>
> No, it is not such a vote.
>
> rdf:PlainLiteral is a datatype.  It says so in the title
> of the document.
>
> rdf:PlainLiteral is not established terminology in RDF data.
>
> The spliting of datatype and class here, in particular, is not established.

Ok, I understand what your position is.

> Until we have a decision on language tag literals, I don't see much value in discussing rdf:PlainLiteral unless the design of rdf:PlainLiteral is supposed to influence that decision.

The design of rdf:PlainLiteral *may* influence whether our resolutions are acceptable to the RIF and OWL WGs. Thus, a resolution that offers a coherent story on how to deal with rdf:PlainLiteral is preferable. This is why I would like to know whether W3C process places any restrictions on what we can do about the rdf:PlainLiteral spec.

Best,
Richard