Re: Proposal for ISSUE-12 language-tagged literals

On 21 Jul 2011, at 13:53, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>> The datatype concept as it exists seems to mix mapping and value.
>>
>> RDF Concepts is sloppy in that regard. RDF Semantics says that literals *denote*. Plain literals denote themselves. Typed literals denote the result of applying L2V to the lexical form.
>
> I'm not sure what your point is here: the text in semantics has to change anyway (e.g. rule xsd 1b).

You said: “The datatype concept as it exists seems to mix mapping and value.”

I said: It does to some extent in RDF Concepts because parts of it are written in informal language. But if you go back to RDF Semantics then I can't see anywhere that mixes mapping and value.

> I have no idea what happens on output when we have:
>
> ex:foo owl:sameAs xsd:String .

Nothing happens. RDF parsers and RDF serializers don't perform OWL reasoning. OWL reasoners perform OWL reasoning, and their behaviour is well-defined with respect to the abstract syntax, and isn't affected by this change.

Best,
Richard