Re: NTriple vs. JSON... (Re: JSON Emergency Brake)

On 25 Aug 2011, at 14:14, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> So we have two options:
>>
>> 1. take the popular N-Triples format, which accidentally became a quasi-standard and is already known and implemented by most of the target audience, and turn it into a proper W3C Recommendation
>>
>> 2. invent yet another completely new format on the assumption that all RDF geeks are going to love it because it uses JSON, and will abandon N-Triples for it
>
> Well, this would keep us busy, wouldn't it? AFAIK, you do not have enough on your plate:-)
>
> Jokes aside, of course you are right that #1 has this status. The question is whether we see a large expansion of new tools and environments that will want to include such simple-triple-interchange format or not. For the new implementations JSON might be simpler.

Even if that's the case, then turning N-Triples into a proper W3C Rec would still be a good use of the WG's time, IMHO. It should also be very quick, modulo the UTF-8 issue :-/

> But all this issue (which I raised without seriously pushing for it) might have become moot after yesterday's discussion on the call...

If there was a vote on “make JSON time-permitting in the RDF-WG charter”, with the implicit intention of not doing it (except if JSON-LD takes off like a rocket over the next 12 months), then I'd be +1.

Best,
Richard