Re: NTriple vs. JSON... (Re: JSON Emergency Brake)

On Aug 25, 2011, at 14:54 , Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> Ivan,
>
> On 24 Aug 2011, at 11:44, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> My understanding is that the reason of having NTriples as well as the RDF/JSON stuff is to have a simple, easy-to-parse, easy-to-generate serialization of RDF triples, mostly to be consumed by machines. If we look at the fact that there are tons of JSON parsers out there already then... Why bothering about NTriple standardization? We can just define a serialization called something like simple-triple-interchange that happens to use JSON syntax for practical reasons...
>
> The target audience for this simple-triple-interchange would be RDF geeks, right? So we have two options:
>
> 1. take the popular N-Triples format, which accidentally became a quasi-standard and is already known and implemented by most of the target audience, and turn it into a proper W3C Recommendation
>
> 2. invent yet another completely new format on the assumption that all RDF geeks are going to love it because it uses JSON, and will abandon N-Triples for it

Well, this would keep us busy, wouldn't it? AFAIK, you do not have enough on your plate:-)

Jokes aside, of course you are right that #1 has this status. The question is whether we see a large expansion of new tools and environments that will want to include such simple-triple-interchange format or not. For the new implementations JSON might be simpler.

But all this issue (which I raised without seriously pushing for it) might have become moot after yesterday's discussion on the call...

Ivan

----