Re: 18. consequences.

On 19 Apr 2011, at 23:10, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/meeting/2011-04-13#resolution_2
>
> I was enacting the consequences of this change in SPARQL.
>
> It breaks the SPARQL 1.0 test suite used for the DAWG implementation report (3 tests).
>
> And what about doubles:
>
> 18.e+1
>
> and forms like
>
> .1
> .18e+1

The motivation for the resolution was to make this a legal triple, both in SPARQL and in Turtle:

  :Bob :age 18.

I take the resolution as being only about prohibiting the decimal point as the last character of a numeric literal. So, 18.e+0 and .18 would remain legal in SPARQL and in Turtle as they were, because the decimal point is in the middle of the literal, not at the end.

The consequence of the decision are, as I see it:

a) The production for numeric literals in SPARQL and Turtle now slightly deviates from the decimal/double productions in XML Schema Datatypes.

b) It is a change that breaks compatibility between SPARQL 1.0 and SPARQL 1.1, in a *minor* and *easily characterized and motivated* way.

c) Turtle and SPARQL authors can be assured that no whitespace is necessary before the period, semicolon, or comma that terminates a statement.

Overall that's a change for the better, I think.

Best,
Richard