Re: ISSUE-30: How does SPARQL's notion of RDF dataset relate our notion of multiple graphs?

On 04/18/2011 06:19 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2011, at 16:49 , Pat Hayes wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>>

>>> My very sketchy feeling that if we define a good old class, say,
>>> G-box, we can then:
>>>
>>> - say that <g> rdf:type G-box which is the identification of a
>>> g-box
>>
>> This by itself would not attach the name to a particular g-box,
>> however.

neither does

  <foaf.rdf#me> a foaf:Person .

attach the name to a particular person.

> Correct. Some hand-waving may be necessary when we define g-*.

well, if the URI of the g-box is in the http: scheme, and it is
dereferenceable (with a 200 OK code), then the HTTP protocol may provide
that hand-waving...

> But I
> am not sure that a very precise mathematical apparatus is necessary
> in practice. If we define the g-box, and we say in the text that it
> has a URI (or as a blank node?) as an identification, that may bit
> enough... (the engineer in me talking...). However, having that class
> allows us to define subgraphs, disjointness of g-boxes and the like.
> That may be all we need.
>
> Yes, I try to make the possible extensions on the formal semantics as
> minimal as possible...
>

>>> (this is not the SPARQL sense, see below - we _may_ want to
>>> rdf:disjointOf <h>, ie, to describe relationships among g-boxes
>>> (I am not sure that is necessary but it sounds useful) - we will
>>> have some additional predicates of the form <g> rdf:tags <h>,
>>> where <h> rdf:type G-box. Ie, other relationships among g-boxes
>>> and URI-s are possible beyond a strict identification (maybe
>>> rdf:tags is the only such predicate, actually, but there may be
>>> more...).
>>
>> Not so easy. When you *use* a URI in RDF, like the <g> here, it is
>> not referring to itself, but to what it denotes. (Put another way,
>> the URI is not quoted.) Which means that rdf:tags isn't going to
>> have the meaning you intend. Now, we could change this, and say
>> that rdf:tag is (uniquely) referentially opaque in its subject
>> position. This would however be a major change to the RDF semantics
>> and data model, and would require us to re-wrote the semantic spec.
>> And it has other knock-on consequences eg for OWL, since OWL
>> equality reasoning would have to be blocked from such triples. So I
>> think we should think very hard before going there.
>>
>> However, XML Schema has a datatype for making literals refer to
>> URIs. http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#anyURI  and we could use
>> that. OK, we can't have a literal in subject position (sigh), so we
>> have to turn it around:
>>
>> <h> rdf:taggedBy xsd:anyURI^^"<the URI written as a string>" .
>>
>> and then it would all work, without breaking the RDF semantics.
>
> I understand, but isn't this problem a reflection of the fact that we
> try to model here the common term of tagging, ie, attaching a string
> to a resource as some sort of a characterization of the latter? In
> fact, as we said at the f2f, SPARQL is blissfully silent on how that
> URI is used. If we want to avoid misunderstandings through the usage
> of the word tagging, we can say something like
>
> <g> rdf:loose_association_of_resources <h> .

nah...

  <i> owl:sameAs <g> .

entails

  <i> rdf:loose_assoctiation_of_resources <h> .

Is this what you want to say??

I prefer Pat's proposa: if you want to associate something with a *uri*
(and not a resource), use a xsd:anyURI literal.

    pa

>>> http://www.ivan-herman.net/pgpkey.html FOAF: