Re: [JSON] user segments, version 2

On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 10:17 +0200, Ivan Herman wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2011, at 20:10 , Sandro Hawke wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>

> > Yes, my use of the word "simple" was meant to convey that Group D
> > doesn't want to use a library.

> >> I believe JSON-LD's goal (ie, Manu's:-) would be more something like ACD (not sure it reaches it, though). Ie, a format that, at least in simple data, *can* be used by users in group D.
> >
> > Can prefixes really be handled without a library?   I don't think so.
> >

> No they can't. But the point is: in some cases you do not care. If you have something like
>
> {
>   "@context" : { "name" : "foaf-uri-for-name", ... }
>   "name" : "Sandro"
> }
>
> *some* applications may want a full, RDF-like interpretation of the data (i.e., they need a library to manage the context), but some applications do not really care about that because they operate on very specific pages anyway, in which case they are perfectly happy with something like
>
> f = json.parse(data);
> f.name ...
>
> (or something like that). So a 'C' user is a 'D' user wearing RDF goggles, like Nathan called them... Put it another way, a specific user may start in the 'D' category then he/she realizes that there is more to achieve if an additional library is used, and can migrate into 'C', using the very same data.

Isn't that really a Group A way of looking at the world?  It's only
going to work for one site, following their arbitrary protocol.    In
this case the arbitrariness is their selection of prefixes.

(Now you see another reason why I was so interested in the RDFa project
to standardize prefixes.   If we go that way, it solves this big piece
of the JSON puzzle, too.)

To me the distinguishing mark for RDF is that you can use the same code
talking to any site that uses the same vocabulary.  That wont be the
case here.

Now, the library you need to use here is pretty trivial.  It's one
"reprefix" function, which can probably be 10-20 lines of javascript, so
many B-or-D folks might view it as okay.    The lines are fuzzy in that
way, too.

   -- Sandro