Re: [JSON] A starting point...

I need a clarification on Nathan's original email. He writes:

[[[
when terms from multiple vocabularies are needed it requires people
to make their own custom vocab which includes aliases to terms in other
vocabularies. (having a single cachable vocab is lighter for network
though and easier to maintain)
]]]

the way I read this is that, if I use, say, dc and foaf in the same data, and I decide to use foaf, then I will have to set up, somewhere on the Web, a separate vocabulary file that defines the dc terms and, I presume, would include a bunch of owl:samePropertyAs to the 'real' ones. While this is, theoretically, a working solution, this means that RDF/JSON environments will have to understand at least this owl term and work their way through it, which is an extra load that no other serializations have. I do not believe this is really a good idea.

Besides: a major advantage of RDF over other formats is the possibility to mix terms from various vocabularies easily. This is the main advantage of, say, RDFa over microformats or even microdata; loosing this for RDF/JSON seems to go in a direction that makes RDF loose its advantage over other data formats...

I see that Manu has added a @context below which may go into this direction.

Another approach would be to allow predicates to be either simple terms or full URI-s.

Ivan

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153