Re: [JSON] Tiny Proposal

A long-delayed set of responses to Andy...

On 03/24/2011 09:43 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> 1: Constrain JSON [1] to be an (optionally nested) sequence of one
>> or more objects (where one, no enclosing [] is needed).
>
> I'm not convinced nesting is needed.  Instead, what about a flat
> JSON-[] array of data objects with fields. Linking is up to the app.
>
> Nesting means there are two ways to write one thing.

Our company is convinced that nesting is needed. That is, we tried the
no-nesting route and our JavaScript developers rejected it. It's seen as
a weakness in the language if what is easy to nest in JavaScript, is
suddenly forbidden in RDF in/on/with JSON.

Just because there are two ways to write one thing doesn't necessarily
mean that is a bad thing. Sometimes, writing it one way is more
efficient/practical/clearer than writing it the other way. That is,
there are multiple ways to express things in TURTLE, HTML+RDFa, etc. -
and that is often seen as a strength, not a weakness.

>> There are currently three JSON grammar serializations, which one
>> should this Working Group use as the basis for the RDF/JSON
>> serialization:
>>
>> * RFC4627: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt * ECMA-262 5th
>> Edition:
>> http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/ECMA-262.pdf
>> * json.org: http://json.org/
>
> How do they differ? Are there real world examples of collisions?

I thought that Peter asserted that they differ - I don't know how they
differ. Perhaps an allusion to the backslash-escaping "/" when you don't
need to?

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: The PaySwarm Vocabulary