Re: "do not occur"

On Jun 2, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> [FYI, today, SPARQL and RIF said they're okay with the current drafts;
> in RIF's case, this is modulo the name change being made in the
> builtins.]
>
> At the risk of waking sleeping dragons, Axel and I were talking about
> this delicate sentence:
>
>    Therefore, typed literals with rdf:PlainLiteral as the datatype do
>    not occur in syntaxes for RDF graphs, nor in syntaxes for SPARQL.
>
> and how it seems normative, even though it's stated as purely logical.
>
> The confusion, as I understand it, is that typed literals with the
> datatype rdf:PlainLiteral:
>
>        - DO NOT occur in the syntax, which means they
>        - MUST NOT occur in the documents.
>
> This is a little confusing.
>
> Option 1:
>
>    leave it as is

+1  I think its meaning is clear, and it might be helpful to some
readers, and I predict that a lot of help is going to be needed. The
reason we capitalize or otherwise textually decorate the normative
MUSTS and MAYs is so that we can go on using English non-normatively
when we just write it normally, right?

>     (my vote: +0)
>
> Option 2:
>
>    rephrase as: Therefore, typed literals with rdf:PlainLiteral as the
>    datatype are considered by this specification to be not valid in
>    syntaxes for RDF graphs or SPARQL.
>
>    (my vote: -0)

-0

> Option 3:
>
>    (just drop the sentence; it's doesn't add much itself.)
>
>    (my vote: +1)

+0

Pat