Re: A summary of the proposal for resolving the issues with rdf:text --> Could you please check it one more time?

On May 20, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 01:38:29PM +0200, Boris Motik wrote:

>> If such a solution doesn't exist yet, then the SPARQL WG should
>> address these
>> issues, and it should do so in general for all datatypes
>> (xsd:integer,
>> xsd:decimal, and so on), not just for rdf:text.
>
> I'd argue that it's more of an RDF Core issue (admitting that they
> don't exist).

I agree. The elegant solution would be to have a single RDF literal
form "string"@tag^^type where @tag and ^^type are both optional, and
have the type rdf:text be optionally invisible, so that "foo"@baz is
an abbreviation form for  "foo"@baz^^rdf:text . Then existing RDF is
still legal, all the needed entailments are RDF entailments, and RIF
and OWL2 have their datatype, and we wouldn't have that ugly trailing
"@" inside the string quotes.

Maybe its time to re-convene RDF Core to clean up this and other bits
of left-over RDF junk. Who has the authority to do this?

Pat