Re: A summary of the proposal for resolving the issues with rdf:text --> Could you please check it one more time?

On May 20, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Boris Motik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have to agree that the text in the rdf:text specification might
> not reflect
> correctly the intentions I expressed. Quite frankly, we (i.e., the
> authors of
> the rdf:text specification) haven't been really aware of all the
> repercussions
> and possible interpretations of our spec. The text you refer to at
> the end of
> this e-mail has been introduced as a reaction to one of the earlier
> comments by
> the SPARQL WG.
>
> Nevertheless, here is what the goals of rdf:text are:

Thanks for this summary.

> 1. Both RIF and OWL 2 find the distinction between plain and typed
> literals
> painful. This is because, whenever one refers to literals, one needs
> two
> subcases: for a plain and for a typed literal.

So?

> Both RIF and OWL 2 have
> independently come up with exactly the same idea: they opted to
> represent the
> "semantic content" of plain literals through typed literals whose
> value is the
> same as the corresponding plain literals.

Thanks for making this clear in a public forum. OWL 2 and RIF are
deliberately, by design, creating a central incompatibility with a
basic feature of RDF. This  seems to me to be a quite extraordinary
and amazing observation, one that deserves to be publicized as widely
as possible (which is why I am CCing this to semantic-web@w3.org). Why
would two W3C WGs set out to deliberately *create* interoperability
problems with other W3C standards, just when those standards are
beginning to achieve widespread acceptance?

> This makes the definitions and the
> semantic treatment of literals in both RIF and OWL 2 much simpler.

It makes it more elegant, yes, but is there really a PROBLEM here that
needs to be solved? That is, what actual issues for users or
implementations are posed by the presence of two literal forms? Or is
this discomfort simply a matter of theoretician's feelings of
inelegance or clumsiness? Because if the latter (as I strongly
suspect), this is not a sufficient reason to attempt to retroactively
undermine the existing RDF standard, and to deliberately create what I
believe will be troublesome and awkward problems for an entire
generation of implementations, and certainly for a majority of
existing ones. Creating problems like this is exactly what W3C WGs
should NOT be doing, especially at a critical point in the deployment
of SWeb technology. Google just quietly announced their cautious
support for RDFA. It is not exactly a great idea for two W3C WGs to be
at that very moment deliberately attempting to undermine one of the
basic aspects of the RDF design. Elegance, is, frankly, not of central
importance right now.

> 2. Both RIF and OWL 2 need a mechanism to refer to the set of all
> plain
> literals. For example, in OWL 2 you might want to say "the range is
> a piece of
> text".

That problem can be trivially solved by introducing a class of such
values, and giving it a reserved name. RDF plain literals denote
themselves, so that the class of plain literal values is also the
class of plain literals which is also the class of pieces of text.

> In OWL 2 this is very important because of facets. Using a datatype
> for
> this purpose is natural.

Natural. maybe, but not REQUIRED. And given the problems that it
causes, maybe it isn't so natural after all. Think of OWL 2 as part of
an existing world-wide deployment of SWeb systems, and then ask if it
is 'natural'.

> Both RIF and OWL 2 have chosen to follow the
> definitions of datatypes from XML Schema. Thus, each datatype
> consists of a set
> of lexical values, a value space, and a L2V mapping. Plain literals
> do not
> follow these principles

Of course they do. Abstractly, the plain literal 'datatype' is as
follows: the lexical space is all character strings; the value space
is all character strings; and the L2V mapping is the identity map.
Obvious extension to the case of tagged literals. Where is the
conceptual problem here?

> ; therefore, rdf:text defines lexical values that encode
> the content of plain literals.

Giving rise immediately, and predictably, to the interoperability
nightmare of there being two ways to represent one ubiquitous kind of
thing - a piece of unmarked text, with an optional language tag -
which require exotic means to establish their equivalence, and
different specs requiring different ways to be used. This is an
elementary systems-engineering mistake, a decision which could have
been designed to create global systemic problems. (Even the
"managerial" situation of narrowly focussed WGs working on parts of
the problem in isolation is classic. Future systems engineering 101
course textbooks will be able to cite this as an example.)

> Now as I have already said, we have not had the complete store as
> clear in our
> minds right from the beginning. Given all the LC comments (which
> have by the way
> have been quite useful and have significantly improved the spec),
> however, both
> RIF and OWL 2 have agreed that the view I proposed in my e-mail is the
> appropriate one (at least from the RIF and OWL 2 points of view).

All SWeb WG's points of view should be primarily to further the
deployment of the SWeb.

> As I've stated
> in my summary e-mail, to achieve this we simply need to remove from
> the
> specification any special treatment of rdf:text: this should be a
> datatype like
> any other. This is precisely the part of the document that you are
> referring to.
>
> Thus, the final version of the document would not mention any
> interoperability
> problems.

How wonderful. We will not mention them, so they will have gone away.
Or, more precisely, they have not gone away, but they aren't OUR
problem.  We are just doing our job, and making the Semantic Web work
isn't in our WG charter: we are just concerned with RIF/OWL.

Sorry about the sarcastic tone, but this really does deserve it.

> Furthermore, we may also rework the introduction to make the intention
> behind rdf:text clearer.

Certainly, the rdf:text document is very misleading as written. It
purports to be about representing internationalized text, which is
clearly not even close to the truth, and it does not even mention the
apparently real motivation, which is (see above) to create
incompatibilities with the RDF plain literal design.

Pat