Re: When N-Ary and When RDF-star

Hi David

It sure would be nice if the expressiveness of rdf-star and labeled
> property graphs were treated uniformly as mere sub-cases of a *standard*
> n-ary relationship syntax (which we do not currently have).

In the first email of the "Three ideas" thread, you'll see that the ideas
of neutral assertion, "<<" ">>", negative assertion, "<!" "!>", and
metadata annotations, "{|" "|}", are only applied after the rest of the
system for binary and n-ary relationships is defined. So to be picky about
what you're saying, in my view the expressiveness of RDF-star (metadata)
should be layered on top of a complete syntax describing binary and n-ary
relationships, rather than being a subcase, as you put it, of n-ary
relationships. It's a subtle but important distinction for various reasons
I've described throughout the thread.

It's good to see people falling back to arguments based in natural language
though, that's where the idea for simple, compound, and complex statements
comes from. We already have well-understood sentence structures to describe
n-ary relationships, and we're all already proficient at using them, these
statement types just mirror those and that's why I think they have the
potential to be a good solution.

Regards
Anthony