Re: Adaptation of the semantics

(I realise that I originally only included Peter in my reply;
  reposting my reply here for archiving; sorry Peter for the duplicate)

Dear Peter,

 > Turtle* processing can be simple in just about any scheme if the
output is an RDF* graph. There is no need for a Turtle* system to
canonicalize RDF* graphs on input, nor is there are need for Turtle*
systems to canonicalize on output.

 > If it is possible to encode an embedded predicate in Turtle* then it
is possible to have two structurally different Turtle* documents for the
same RDF* graph.  But this is already possible in RDF - consider all the
shorthands, particularly for containers and collections.
I should have been more careful with the wording. My point was indeed
not about *parsing* Turtle*, but more about *storing* the result of this
parsing in an RDF-star-aware system.

 > It is true that a complete triple* store becomes somewhat more
complex in this case, but only if the system wants to store all embedded
triples directly.  Storing embedded triples directly is likely to help
in SPARQL* performance, but any complete triple* store (let alone a
performative one) is already quite complex so a bit more complexity
isn't going to be noticeable.

I am not so sure about that. From what I understand, most (if not all)
implementers of RDF* chose to represent embedded triples directly. I'm
guessing there is a reason.

 > So I don't see that the claim of making Turtle* processing easier is
correct.

 > In my mind important properties are what results are returned, not
the form of these results.  Here is where hidden predicates have a role.
   A basic question, I think, is whether it is possible for an RDF graph
to entail an RDF* graph containing an embedded triple.

In the current semantics: yes, since the mapping defines an *equivalent*
RDF graph for any RDF* graph.

In the new proposal: yes, since G1 U G2 entails G (where (G1, G2) =
unstar(G)). However, no RDF graph can be *equivalent* to G (if G
contains embedded triples).

 > A slightly less basic question is whether SPARQL* results can return
RDF triples that arise from embedded triples

But why should any RDF triple necessarily arise from embedded triples??
According to the abstract syntax, they are terms, just like, e.g.,
datatyped literals. Their internal structure should not have to "leak"
into the graph (in simple entailment, at least).

The current semantics uses such "leaking" triples for the purpose of
defining semantics, and tries to keep them hidden (using hidden
predicates). But as you know, it fails to hide them entirely in SPARQL.
Adding ad-hoc constraints in SPARQL-star to ensure that hidden
predicates remain hidden sounds like an ugly solution (and by the way,
we would be back to using two hiding operations: secret IRIs, and
special SPARQL processing of those).

In the proposed semantics, the 7 "reification triples" entail the
embedded triple, but not the other way around, so there is not need to
hide them, neither in serialization syntaxes (hidden IRIs) nor in SPARQL
results (by creating special cases). I find this much cleaner.

   pa

PS: I still have to use one hidden IRI, I explained the rationale in my
previous email. I agree that it is not ideal. And actually, we can
separate the two issues. I

 > even if no RDF graph can entail an RDF* graph containing an embedded
triple. If the answer is no, then hidden triples are not allowed because
the pattern ?s ?p ?o. returns all triples, unless there is special
treatment of these predicates.  It might be reasonable to just make
these hidden triples not be targets for matching by query variables.
(One problem with this is that it doesn't handle generalized RDF triples
with blank nodes as predicates.)

 > peter
 >

 > On 3/11/21 1:34 PM, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
 >> On 11/03/2021 18:28, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
 >>
 >>> I don't see this as much of an advance.
 >>>

 >>> The semantics now uses two graphs and also uses a hidden predicate.
 >>>

 >>> As far as I can see, the reason to use a hidden predicate is to
prevent RDF* graphs with embedded triples from beng equivalent to an RDF
graph.  I'm not in favour of this attribute of RDF*, as it prevents the
construction of variations on embedded triples.
 >> Note that the new proposal does not use hidden predicate to describe
the internal structure of an embedded triple. So you can now builld
something that is very similar to (the "expanded description of) an
embedded triple -- how is it not a "variation on embedded triples"?

 >> What you can not do is to assemble a "proper" embedded triple by
using those predicates. In my view, this is a feature of RDF-star, not a
bug. Similarly, [ rdf:value "42"; rdf:type xsd:integer ] is quite
similar to the literal "42"^^xsd:integer, but it is not that literal.
Requiring RDF systems to recognized that literal whenever it is
described like that would be a big hurdle for implementers.

 >>> As far as I can see, the reason to use two graphs is to hide the
triples generated by embedded triples from SPARQL.

 >>> So there are two hiding operations.  Are two really needed?
 >>
 >> You are right, in a way they are two hiding operations. But they
play different roles.

 >> * using 2 graphs instead of one avoids embedded triples to entail
their "expanded" representation (i.e. the 7 triples generated in G2 for
that embedded triple) -- that way, SPARQL-star engines (but also
RDF-star systems supporting simple entailment) do not need to construct
the "expanded" representation for every embedded triple they contain.

 >> * using a hidden IRI avoids the "expanded" representation to entail
the embedded triple (more precisely, the complete expanded
representation DOES entail the embedded triple, but it can not be
serialized) -- that way, Turtle-star parsers are not required to analyze
all "reification" triples to re-construct "expanded".

 >> So to sum it up, the first hiding operation is for the sake of
SPARQL-star, the second one is for the sake of Turtle-star.

<https://w3c.github.io/rdf-star/cg-spec/2021-02-18.html#combining-rdf-star-graphs>
RDF-star

single, semantically equivalent RDF graph.
of as a "lower and upper bound" of the RDF-star graph, in terms of
entailment. The semantics of the RDF-star graph is defined through the
semantics of its "bounds", reusing RDF semantics as is (as we currently do).

contains embedded triples) has no exactly equivalent RDF graph, so it
still can not be conveyed exactly using RDF syntaxes (but we do not rely
anymore on hidden predicates for that). However, either of the two
"bounds" can be used to approximate the RDF-star graph in legacy RDF.
The "lower bound" will produce correct but incomplete inferences. The
"upper bound" will produce complete inferences, with a few spurious (but
generally harmless) ones.