Re: Adaptation of the semantics

> I don't see this as much of an advance.
>

> The semantics now uses two graphs and also uses a hidden predicate.
>

> As far as I can see, the reason to use a hidden predicate is to
> prevent RDF* graphs with embedded triples from beng equivalent to an
> RDF graph.  I'm not in favour of this attribute of RDF*, as it
> prevents the construction of variations on embedded triples.
Note that the new proposal does not use hidden predicate to describe the
internal structure of an embedded triple. So you can now builld
something that is very similar to (the "expanded description of) an
embedded triple -- how is it not a "variation on embedded triples"?

What you can not do is to assemble a "proper" embedded triple by using
those predicates. In my view, this is a feature of RDF-star, not a bug.
Similarly, [ rdf:value "42"; rdf:type xsd:integer ] is quite similar to
the literal "42"^^xsd:integer, but it is not that literal. Requiring RDF
systems to recognized that literal whenever it is described like that
would be a big hurdle for implementers.

> As far as I can see, the reason to use two graphs is to hide the
> triples generated by embedded triples from SPARQL.
>
> So there are two hiding operations.  Are two really needed?

You are right, in a way they are two hiding operations. But they play
different roles.

* using 2 graphs instead of one avoids embedded triples to entail their
"expanded" representation (i.e. the 7 triples generated in G2 for that
embedded triple) -- that way, SPARQL-star engines (but also RDF-star
systems supporting simple entailment) do not need to construct the
"expanded" representation for every embedded triple they contain.

* using a hidden IRI avoids the "expanded" representation to entail the
embedded triple (more precisely, the complete expanded representation
DOES entail the embedded triple, but it can not be serialized) -- that
way, Turtle-star parsers are not required to analyze all "reification"
triples to re-construct "expanded".

So to sum it up, the first hiding operation is for the sake of
SPARQL-star, the second one is for the sake of Turtle-star.

   pa