Re: Text about SPARQL-star built-in functions ready

> On Mar 2, 2021, at 12:09 PM, James Anderson <anderson.james.1955@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> good evening;
>
>> On 2021-03-02, at 18:56:40, Olaf Hartig <olaf.hartig@liu.se> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have implemented the proposal [1] to add the five new built-in functions to
>> the spec. See the following PR
>>
>> https://github.com/w3c/rdf-star/pull/118
>>
>> For your convenience, here is the link to the preview:
>>
>> https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/rdf-star/pull/118.html
>>
>> The changes are in Section 4.2 (SPARQL-star Grammar) and in the new Section
>> 4.4 (Function Definitions).
>>
>> As agreed during our telco last Friday, I will leave this PR open for three
>> days so that your can take a look at it and raise concerns (if any). Unless
>> anyone brings forward reasons that this PR should not be merged, I will merge
>> it on Friday afternoon (CET).
>
> i raise the concern, that the approach needs to comprehend quads before it will be usable.

I think this comment is more general than the specific functions added. It would be useful to have some examples that use various combinations of embedded triples, annotations, and these functions within named graphs.

Eventually, we need to understand the implications for N-Quads and TriG.

JSON-LD-star takes a stand on this in the from/to RDF algorithms [1], although not in any existing examples or tests. Basically, embedded triples go in the default graph, annotations stay in the graph in which they’re defined.

Gregg

[1] https://json-ld.github.io/json-ld-star/#rdf-serialization-deserialization-algorithms