Re: Summary: Annotation Syntax Proposals

On 20/01/2021 09:34, Miel Vander Sande wrote:

> Turtle is superset of N-Triples, Trig & N3 are supersets of Turtle and
> N-Quads is a superset of N-Triples - shouldn't we guarentee that
> future RDF* extensions of these syntaxes remain feasible (eg. getting
> into shorthand hell) and without diverging too much from these
> superset relations.

I agree that we should.

I believe that the annotation syntax can safely be propagated to Trig
and N3. IIRC Trig does not use a 4th component to encode graph name (but
uses <name> { (triples...) } instead ) so the annotation syntax should
not conflict here.

As Andy pointed out, neither N-Triples* nor N-Quads* are expected to
have the triple syntax, so again, its position after the object will not
cause problem in N-Quads.

> << :subject :predicate :object >>  :source :URL . -> 3 parts
> {| :subject :predicate :object |}  :source :URL  . -> 3 parts

I assume that what you are suggesting here is the {| ... |} are like <<
... >> + assertion.

The main drawback I see to this is that we can no longer factorize the
terms of the asserted triples, as in

:s :p1 :o1 {| :source :URL1 |},
        :o2 {| :source :URL2 |};
    :p2 :o3 {| :source URL3 |}.

> Something that has four parts reads like a quad to me. But this is
> just personal preference.

I sympathize with that, but I personally find this trade-off to have
more pros than cons.

   pa