Re: A different symbol for {|

On 04/01/2021 08:20, Miel Vander Sande wrote:
> Hi Laura,
>
> I'm glad you bring this up... I was thinking the same thing, but I
> refrained from asking to not complicate the consensus ;)
> However, note that the outcome of the current effort is not a
> recommendation, so syntax can still be changed when going towards a
> standard.
>
> I dig the <<>> syntax, it is in line with the URI notation, but the {|
> |} (they are next to eachother on my keyboard btw ;)) feels unintuitive
> compared to something like <! >. The { } make me think of graphs

That is a downside, but the same argument applies to "[" and "(" for
blank nodes and lists. [[ ]] was originally suggested but [[ is already
legal Turtle.

Analysis:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-star/2020Aug/0043.html

and the discussion is referenced in issue 9.

> and
> that might have been the intention. So to prevent going into this
> uninformed (https://github.com/w3c/rdf-star/issues/9
> <https://github.com/w3c/rdf-star/issues/9> doesn't mention the
> notation's origins), perhaps Pierre-Antoine or someone else could
> briefly explain the rationale. I would definitely consider this an issue
> of low priority.

A few inputs:

1 * It should be the same syntax for SPARQL as well.
2 * It should work in Trig
3 * It should not more complex parsing technology

Turtle and SPARQL are both one token lookahead grammars, without context
sensitivity tokenizing (LL(1) and LALR(1) and recursive descent).

> Laura, about your [1] proposal: I think this was discussed in other mail
> threads. There's the thread by Pat Hayes and Ivan Herman talking about
> reference by hash. Lionel Medini also proposed a |:bob :age 42 @{
> :source <http://example.org/~bob/ <http://example.org/~bob/>>
> }.| syntax. Bu I believe the plan is to keep annotations and triples
> together while staying within the triples  model.

Yes, that is the key point for annotation syntax. As it is syntactic
sugar, you can always write with <<>>

         :alice :knows :bob .

         << :alice :knows :bob >> ex:since 1980 .

c.f. blank node labels if a triple reference style is used.

     Andy