Re: RDF-star use cases from Amazon Neptune

> Although RDF is in some sense a logic, this is not really relevant to
> the discussion here.
I still beg to differ. See below

> There is no requirement that a logic be based on sets (or set-like
> graphs) instead of multi-sets (or multi-set-like graphs).

That's right, but RDF as a logic is.

Rephrasing my point below: this "restriction" of RDF is not an arbitrary
choice that could be easily revised, because it is linked to the
underlying semantics of RDF. Furthermore, since PGs do not have an
underlying semantics, the same construct can be used with a different
meaning in different contexts (e.g. some edges are considered as
automatically asserted, while other edges are only asserted
conditionally to some properties). So even if we changed the RDF
abstract syntax to better align with the PG data model, I expect that
there would still be common PG patterns that would not map well to the
new RDF's semantics.

> SPARQL and SPARQL* do not use the logic of RDF.  They have no more
> semantic commitment than retrieval from property graphs.

Granted. People can use RDF while totally ignoring its semantics, and
still query it with SPARQL and maybe get something useful from it. But
would that still be RDF? If they published this data on the web, would
it be desirable that they advertise it as RDF?

   pa