Re: owl:sameAs/referential opacity Re: Can RDFstar be defined as only syntactic sugar on top of RDF (Re: weakness of embedded triples)

Hi Thomas,

On 16/11/2020 14:46, thomas lörtsch wrote:
> Pat, thanks a lot for the clarification! You are of course right and I don’t know how I still managed to get it wrong. But let’s see if I really do understand now and what this leads to...
>
> RDF standard reification does reify an actual assertion,

I guess that is your interpretation of "a concrete realization of an RDF
triple", but this does an "actual assertion" of the triple -- at list
not from the person using reification. The spec clearly says "A
reification of a triple does not entail the triple,", so I can reify a
triple written seen in another document, /without asserting it myself/.

Reification is designed to allow this:

     prefix ct: <conspiracy_theory.ttl#>
     <conspiracy_theory.ttl> :contains [ rdf:subject ct:earth;
rdf:predicate rdf:type; rdf:object ct:FlatThing ].

>   a triple token, and makes it possible to speak about the things that statement denotes - it works on the level of interpretations, not of the vocabulary and therefor is necessarily referentially transparent. What it is missing is a solid link between a specific triple token and its reification (the reification quadlet in standard RDF). RDF/XML does provide an :ID attribute to syntactically link an statement to its reification. But there is no formal semantics as RDF provides no model theoretic construct to represent a statement. The spec says: "This requires triple tokens to exist as first-class entities in the universe IR of an interpretation." [0] and as far as I can see they don’t, yet.
>
> +
>
> For RDF* this means that PG mode is quite similar to RDF standard reification as the annotated statement is indeed asserted. Also the proposed syntax
>
>  :a :b :c {| :d :e |}
>
> provides a solid syntactic link between statement and annotation

At the level of the /concrete/ syntax, yes.

At the level of the /abstract/ syntax, no, because this is meant to be
equivalent to

     :a :b :c.
     << :a :b :c >> :d :e.

> comparable to the :ID attribute in RDF/XML.
Actually, the :ID attribute in RDF/XML is more expressive than RDF*/SA,
because you can assert the same triple several times, with different IDs.
> +
>
> RDF* in SA mode OTOH has no equivalent in RDF standard reification as RDF doesn’t formalize the notion of an unasserted assertion as an abstract object. RDF* in SA mode is very similar to a literal quote of a statement, but additionally the triplet representation of a statement supports querying, blank nodes and name spaces:
>
>  << :a :b :c >>
>
> However there is a problem with SA mode: an actual assertion and a quote of some assertion of that kind are not linked formally and not even syntactically. See for example:
>
>  :a :b :c .
>  << :a :b :c >> :denies :d .
>  << :a :b :c >> :exclaims :e .
>
> It’s impossible to tell who asserted ":a :b :c" - :d or :e (or somebody else).
It is the /author/ of the Turtle* filr who asserted :a :b :c, and that
may be a totally different person than :d and :e.
>   The properties may provide a hint at the intended semantics.

Exactly.

Or, if really you want to track which utterance of the triple lead the
author to endorse it, you can add another level of annotation:

     << << :a :b :c >> :exclaims :e >> :trustedBy <>.

or something like that.

> +
>
> Both "modes" used side by side would solve this problem:
>
>  << :a :b :c >> :denies :d .
>  :a :b :c {| :exclaims :e |}

No, because his concrete syntax would produce exactly the same abstract
syntax as your previous example -- at least in my understanding, but I
trust that Olaf would agree (see
https://github.com/w3c/rdf-star/issues/9#issuecomment-708608422
<https://github.com/w3c/rdf-star/issues/9#issuecomment-708608422>).

 From the very beginning, embedded triples in RDF* are totally
identified by their subject+predicate+object, there is now way to
distinguish different mentions (tokens) of the same triple. As I
understand, this was a deliberate design choice.

> This leads me to the conclusion that RDF*/PG and RDF*/AS have different semantics,
Neither has a definite semantics yet; this is what this discussion is
about. But my preference goes to considering PG as syntactic sugar for a
frequent pattern in SA.
>   different syntactic features and could live side by side, serving different purposes. But RDF*/PG and RDF*/AS are not alternatives to each other and can’t be used interchangeably.
>
> RDF*/PG is indeed syntactic sugar for RDF standard reification,

No, because standard reification does *not* entail the reified triples.

And also, maybe no, because standard reification is referentially
transparent, while referential transparency/opacity is still under
discussion for RDF*.

> providing a syntactic link between an actual assertion and annotation(s) on it.
Standard reification does that, but RDF* (either in PG or SA mode) does
not. And this does not depend on the (to be defined) semantics, it is a
consequence of the /abstract syntax/, in which RDF* triples identity is
entierely defined by their subject+predicate+object.
> In that respect it is a good alternative to RDF/XML with its :ID attribute. With a proper model theoretic definition of the notion of a triple token it could complete the semantics of RDF standard reification.
>
> RDF*/SA however provides something that has no equivalent in RDF: a way to quote abstract/unstated/possible statements,

Standard reification does that, although "quoting" is not the best way
to describe it, because it seems to imply referential opacity.

>   plus support of namespaces, bnodes and querying. While it does not support a solid link between an asserted statement and annotations to such statement it might still be a useful addition to RDF. If those abstract statements should be referentially opaque or transparent is another question.

Agreed, the token-type distinction, and the opaque-transparent
distinction, are orthogonal.

   pa