combination of RDF* and graph-level metadata (named graphs)

David,

On torsdag 29 augusti 2019 kl. 14:14:39 CEST David Booth wrote:
> [...]
> My main concerns:
>
>   - It must be easy to make statements about an entire graph -- a set of
> triples -- rather than one triple at a time.  At present RDF* does not
> allow this, but my understanding is that it could be extended to do so.
> IMO this is critically important.

I don't see why this would be necessary; I mean, I don't think we need another
such approach. The approaches that you mention below (named graphs, as a data
model feature, and the N3 syntax to talk about graphs) already give us the
means to make statements about an entire graph. Therefore, in contrast to
these approaches, RDF* focuses on making statements about individual triples
(similar to standard RDF reification and edge properties in Property Graphs).

Making statements about entire graphs and making statements about individual
triples are orthogonal issues. Of course, there are use cases in which we want
to be able to do both within the same dataset. To this end, the concept of a
named graph may simply be extended to be a pair consisting of an IRI (the
graph name) and an RDF* graph (rather than an RDF graph). Then, it is possible
to use the IRI to make statements about the graph as a whole, and within the
graph you may have (nested) RDF* triples to make statements about some
particular triple.

>   - It should be harmonized with other existing mechanisms, such as
> named graphs and N3's ability to talk about graphs.

Does the approach outlined above (named RDF* graphs) address this concern?

Olaf