Re: Future-Proofing for Transition to Multi-Edge caused by Data Arrival

I'm sorry in advance If I missed the point of this example, but I feel
like we are having the same conversation again and again here. There are
countless of example where named triples, or multisets of triples, could
facilitate a little bit the design of these kind of models. But it is
never impossible to do with current RDF. Again with this example, we can
use Greg's solution with multiple :index values. If you really want to
have a single value per :index, it is my understanding that you can use
sub-properties a such (I never used SPARQL so I hope its correct):

:Trump :servedAs45 :President .
:servedAs45 rdfs:subPropertyOf :servedAs .
:servedAs45 :index 45 .

:Trump :servedAs47 :President .
:servedAs47 rdfs:subPropertyOf :servedAs .
:servedAs47 :index 47 .

SELECT ?x {
   ?x ?servedAs :President .
   ?servedAs rdf:subPropertyOf :servedAs .
   ?servedAs :index ?idx
} ORDER BY ?idx

Yes it is always a little bit more verbose than what we would get with
named triples, but then it is never impossible to do without. I thing
giving more and more variants of the same problem won't get more
convincing than that, unless we can show that the impact on the
semantics and implementations of RDF and SPARQL will not be so dramatic
it is still worth going in this direction. For the current understanding
I have of RDF and SPARQL, it seems to me that the changes would be huge,
for little benefits.

By the way, using sub properties like that, you can still have

:Bob :knows << :Bush :servedAs :President >>

Where here Bob knows that Bush served as president but don't know how
many times and the details that are specified in the graph. I don't
know, it's not really relevant but I find it nice.

--
Timothée