Re: labelled property graphs vs -star extension of RDFn vs -star extension of named graphs

> On 8. Dec 2023, at 17:19, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So this indeed would be a user-visible difference from the labelled property graphs situation.

It depends on how you go about it. There is two aspects to consider:
- do you talk about types or tokens
- how do you refer to those tokens

RDF standard reification does talk about tokens, but there is no "hard link" (for lack of a better expression) between the token identifier and the token it identifies. The token so identified is subsumed in the type. There’s only one statement of some type in the data because of set semantics.

However, this has problems. When you describe different tokens and only some of them are meant to be unasserted, you lose that important detail as another token desription was indeed added together with an asserted triple of that type (well, talking about unasserted assertions was never the aim of RDF standard reification, so it is excused - it’s just how people use it). More problems arise when one of those token annotations gets deleted: delete the asserted triple too, or does another token annotation still "use" it, depend on it? This needs a lot of housekeeping to get right. The perils of early optimization.

To solidly connect annotations on a token with the token in the way LPG provides it, one has to work around the set semantics of RDF. There’s different ways to do that: singleton graphs, singleton properties, triple identifiers like in RDFn. All that doesn’t break the RDF semantics. It just means that deduplication is applied at a different point in time: when saving the statement (only once, as type) or when querying it (returning it only once, or returning it multiple times with references to those annotations) or when reasoning (interpreting the annotations as additional information that can be ignored, or go into contextual logic).

Thomas