Re: Formal objection on closing of ISSUE-92

Peter,

The working group received input that the use of negation and conjunction will not provide a satisfactory user experience. To quote https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-data-shapes-wg/2017Jan/0024.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-data-shapes-wg/2017Jan/0024.html>:

"While qualified cardinality restrictions can capture top-level repeated properties, they become quite a burden to author and maintain. Likewise, exploding every OR with a negation of the DNF of the other disjuncts requires diligence and is tedious and error prone if the disjuncts have any complexity to them.”

There are a number of known use cases that require this feature. A simple example is “A person has to have either a value for a “full name” or values for a “first name” and “last name”, but these can’t be present together.

This means that:

Graph 1

ex:Peter ex:firstName “Peter”.
ex:Peter ex:lastName “Patel-Schneider”.

passes validation

Graph 2

ex:Peter ex:fullName “Peter Patel-Schneider”.

passes validation

Graph 3

ex:Peter ex:firstName “Peter”.
ex:Peter ex:lastName “Patel-Schneider”.
ex:Peter ex:fullName “Peter Patel-Schneider”.

does not pass validation

There are many real life examples in life sciences and health care that require this feature and the conditions can grow large e.g., it is either property p1+p2 or property p3+p4+p5 or property p6. And there is also a separate condition that it is either p7 or p8+p9 and so on.

As per above, for these use cases a combination of negation and conjunction is not seen as usable in practice. So, while sh:qualifiedValueShapesDisjoint may be seen as “syntactic sugar”, it is reported to be a necessary one.

We would be keen to hear any alternative ideas you may have on how to support these use cases in a way that will be practically usable.

Regards,

Irene