Re: Comments on Shapes Constraint Language (SHACL) W3C Editor's Draft 22 February 2017

> On Feb 25, 2017, at 10:03 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> ** Problems in early definitions:
>
> "A property path is a possible route in a graph between two graph nodes."
> Route is not defined.  Possible route is not defined.  (This wording is used
> once in the SPARQL document but is not defined there.)

Yes, SPARQL document in section 9 entitled “Property Paths” defines property paths as follows:

"A property path is a possible route through a graph between two graph nodes.”

While it is true that SPARQL document does not further explain nor define a term “possible route”, this potential definitional deficiency you are concerned about did not prevent SPARQL from reaching the TR status, nor had it caused any implementation or usage issues. We believe it to be clear enough for SHACL as well.

Thank you for your continuing diligent review efforts Peter. The WG will study the rest of your comments and decide if they should be addressed.

Regards,

Irene