Re: Validation and documentation using SPIN templates examples and an extension for heuristics/expectations

From: Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 19:06:46 +1000
To: public-rdf-shapes@w3.org

On 7/24/14, 6:59 PM, Dimitris Kontokostas wrote:
> One note here (i'm not going into syntax) if we adopt the severety
> level paradigm this can be easily supported from both ShEx & SPIN with
> a rule like this:
> Rule X, "cars with six wheels are uncommon" @level warning (or notice)

I agree, and it would be good if this was recorded as a requirement
somewhere. For SPIN this could be another triple such as
spin:violationLevel spin:Warning (or similar). We have encountered this
as a requirement many times - some input errors are acceptable to at
least click OK, and fix it later.

Another related use case is that if a constraint violation happens, the
system could *suggest* a fix. In SPIN we do this by creating
INSERT/DELETE template calls as part of a constructed
spin:ConstraintViolation. This can be exposed by user interfaces via a
button "Fix me".

Holger