Re: ShEx relation to SPIN/OWL

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM, john.walker <john.walker@semaku.com> wrote:

>   Hi John,
>
>  I know many people who would consider SPARQL to be a declarative
> language, albeit not with the specific purpose of validation.
>  Even with a declarative validation language I would expect, in many
> real-world use cases, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
>

>  I'm not sure I understand your last point about an RDF based syntax, do
> you mean RDF/XML specifically here?

There is a prosposal for a RDF representation of ShEx (which could be
Turtle, RDF/XML, etc...). You can see the proposal here:
https://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/ShEx#SHEX.2FRDF_format

>  Personally I think it is pretty cool to have an RDF representation of
> ShEx that could be serialized to any of the concrete RDF syntaxes.
>  Primarily for these reasons:
>  - ShEx could be stored in a graph store
>  - ShEx could be used to validate itself
>  - ShEx could be queried or constructed using SPARQL
>
>  As such it might be useful to think of ShEx language as an extension to
> Turtle (rather than 'inspired by'), similar to how TriG extends Turtle with
> named graphs.

I think the main inspirations for ShEx have been: RelaxNG, Turtle and
SPARQL...

Best regards, Jose Labra

--
Saludos, Labra