W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rdf-shapes@w3.org > August 2014

Re: Proposed change to the charter, section 4. Deliverables, Recommendation Track

From: Arthur Ryman <ryman@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 07:59:53 -0400
To: "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>
Cc: public-rdf-shapes@w3.org
Message-ID: <OF56B4DD39.3239ACE6-ON85257D2E.003FBF76-85257D2E.0041EBC2@ca.ibm.com>
Eric,

Yes, the charter is acceptable. Thanks for doing this. 

IBM is completely in favour of languages being human friendly and compact. 
However, Turtle fills that bill for RDF and we see a lot of advantage in 
leveraging RDF parsers and skills. So our primary interest is expressing 
constraints in RDF.

You did not identify SPARQL as the target language but we can let the WG 
decide. IBM will advocate strongly for SPARQL.

The mailing list now contains several other good suggestions for 
improvements to the charter, e.g. from David and Peter. I hope those can 
also be refined further and added to the charter.

Regards, 
___________________________________________________________________________
Arthur Ryman, PhD

Chief Data Officer, Rational
Chief Architect, Portfolio & Strategy Management
Distinguished Engineer | Master Inventor | Academy of Technology

Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)





From:   "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>
To:     Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, 
Cc:     public-rdf-shapes@w3.org
Date:   08/07/2014 04:34 PM
Subject:        Re: Proposed change to the charter, section 4. 
Deliverables, Recommendation  Track



Hi Arthur, thanks for starting this thread.

It took several days for me to connect with W3M to reflect changes in
the charter that they were reviewing. In the end, I changed the
Deliverable for a human-readable syntax to "OPTIONAL" under the
expectation that the UC&R exercise will clarify which members of the
group expect to work on such a language. Does this meet the spirit of
your proposal below?


* Arthur Ryman <ryman@ca.ibm.com> [2014-08-01 15:44-0400]
> The output of the wg is defined by its deliverables. Here is the current 

> text [1]
> 
> Recommendation Track:
> 1.      Compact, human readable syntax for expressing constraints on RDF 

> graph patterns (aka shapes), suitable for the use cases determined by 
the 
> group. This syntax might be a variation of an existing standard, such as 

> templates for SPARQL, or something new, such as ShExC.
> 2.      An RDF vocabulary, such as Resource Shapes 2.0, for expressing 
> these shapes in RDF triples, so they can be stored, queried, analyzed, 
and 
> manipulated with normal RDF tools.
> The WG MAY produce a Recommendation for graph normalization.
> 
> This text is not acceptable to IBM because of the primary emphasis it 
> places on defining a possibly new compact, human readable syntax. I 
> believe this concern has been expressed repeatedly by many people on the 

> mailing list. Many people have indicated a strong preference for 
building 
> on existing standards. However, we have not seen any corresponding 
> modification of the charter. I'd therefore like to propose a strawman 
> change to this section of the charter and invite comment. Here is the 
> proposed new text:
> The WG MUST produce:
> 1. A high-level RDF vocabulary that expresses commonly occurring 
> constraints.
> 2. The semantics of the high-level constraints expressed in terms of 
> SPARQL.
> 3. An RDF extension mechanism for expressing additional constraints, 
> expressed in SPARQL.
> The WG MAY produce:
> 1. A new compact, human readable syntax for expressing constraints with 
a 
> corresponding semantics expressed in SPARQL.
> 2. A specification for graph normalization.
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/charter
> 
> Regards, 
> 
___________________________________________________________________________
> Arthur Ryman, PhD
> 
> Chief Data Officer, Rational
> Chief Architect, Portfolio & Strategy Management
> Distinguished Engineer | Master Inventor | Academy of Technology
> 
> Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)
> 
> 
> 

-- 
-ericP

office: +1.617.599.3509
mobile: +33.6.80.80.35.59

(eric@w3.org)
Feel free to forward this message to any list for any purpose other than
email address distribution.

There are subtle nuances encoded in font variation and clever layout
which can only be seen by printing this message on high-clay paper.
Received on Friday, 8 August 2014 12:01:23 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 17:02:40 UTC