Re: Readability in the face of complexity and internationalisation of human friendly syntaxes for constraints and documentation

From: Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 16:54:32 +1000
To: public-rdf-shapes@w3.org
On 8/7/2014 8:37, Jerven Bolleman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This is just food for thought to be considered by the WG when it forms.
> The key ideas are:
>   * complexity needs to be managed not ignored.

I fully agree. Another point that a short syntax such as ShExC
completely lacks is that if you want to properly publish a "schema" then
you also need a way to define the properties and classes that are used,
together with their rdfs:labels, rdfs:comments, relationships etc. These
are attached to the properties globally, and already exist in triple
format. Developers would end up using a Turtle/JSON-LD file for one part
of their schema, and then a custom syntax just for the constraints? And
then this custom syntax is only covering the hand-picked selection of
commonly used constraints, but for other ones you need to again fall
back to RDF syntaxes. Why even bother?

Holger