Re: Wondering about an example of closed world validation

From: Jose Emilio Labra Gayo <jelabra@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 07:32:39 +0200
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
Cc: Dimitris Kontokostas <kontokostas@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>, "public-rdf-shapes@w3.org" <public-rdf-shapes@w3.org>

> Sure there are lots of ways of proceeding.  You may believe that
> without-reasoning is better.  I may believe that with-reasoning is better.
> However, ShEx and Resource Shapes appear to only allow without-reasoning,
> which I think is completely broken.

That is not true, ShEx and Resource Shapes work independently of reasoning.
As I said in another thread, they can be used in combination with a
reasoner.

It is similar to SPARQL, you would not say that SPARQL only allows
without-reasoning, it is just independent of reasoning, which means that
you can do SPARQL with or without a reasoner.

In fact, the lightweight nature of ShEx means that it can be used before
and after reasoning: before reasoning to check if you have the triples that
you expect and after, to check if the reasoner added the triples that you
wanted.

Best regards, Jose Labra