Re: XMLLiterals and c14n

[I removed the HTML WG from this thread. Simply because, I believe, this
is not of immediate concern to them at this point...]

Philip,

sorry for the long delay but, as I promised I would do, I took up this
discussion with the SPARQL folks, too, just to check.

The bottomline is that you are right. Neither N3/Turtle nor SPARQL
includes any automatic canonicalization of XML Literals (in contrast to
RDF/XML), nor will the new version of SPARQL do it. The only difference
may be in future that in the new version of SPARQL there might be
description of inference regimes, in particular ones that do take into
account datatype entailements, and that version _might_ go further than
the current SPARQL. But that is for the future with lots of maybes.

But, as I think we said in the previous mails, this in fact does not
affect the RDFa spec proper. We only say that proper RDF triples should
be produced by an RDFa processor, ie, a proper RDF XMLLiteral should be
generated. When and how canonicalization occurs is not something the
RDFa spec has to describe; if, for example, the RDFa processor simply
generated RDF/XML, then the issue is irrelevant for the processor itself.

I also looked at the RDFa spec  to see if the examples in the text are
o.k., but luckily I did not see any issues there. I may have missed one,
though...

Where there _is_ an issue to discuss is, as you point it out in your
first mail, in the test suite. Indeed, the current test cases for XML
Literals, described as SPARQL queries, are usually defined in the form
of UNION-s, ie, they follow a pattern like

[[[
ASK WHERE {
<> dc:creator "Albert Einstein" .
{
<> dc:title 'E = mc<sup xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml\"
xmlns:bla="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">2</sup>: The
Most Urgent Problem of Our Time'^^xsd:XMLLiteral
}
UNION
{
<> dc:title 'E = mc<sup xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml\"
xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">2</sup>: The Most Urgent
Problem of Our Time'^^xsd:XMLLiteral
}
]]]

and, strictly speaking, this is indeed not kosher because the first
branch of the UNION is _not_ the proper version of the literal because,
as we said, SPARQL requires the XML Literal to be in canonicalized
format already.

I am not absolutely sure what to do, however. The current test suite is
pragmatic, insofar as many implementations (ie, the underlying XML
package) would indeed produce the first version of the XML Literal.
Maybe these tests should be flagged somehow to make it clear that there
is an issue there and that really really conforming processors should
produce the second version only...

Cheers

Ivan

mobile: +31-641044153